Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Nighthawk AND Shorebird watching at Worcester Airport



Okay, so we go to Rt. 56 again to watch nighthawks....which are flying around rather erratically. And Mark spots some shorebirds way down on the Mulberry St. end of the runway.


Sure enough there are 2 Upland Sandpipers working in and out of the grasses on the little spur....
I stood very still at the gate at the end of the runway and hoped that the birds would pop out of the grass and move onto the road leading to the gate....





And, hopefully, start to come closer

So even as I'm shooting through the fence I'm standing there hoping some shots will come out

And he or she starts to get even closer...
As the bird moves along the runway catching insects she seems oblivious to my standing at the gate. I think the fence and large metal posts somewhat hid me. Believe me, I don't think I've ever been that still in my whole life!



Even when she started to call...


The bird continued to get closer. At one point Mark said he couldn't see the bird because it was right in front of me!
Finally, one of the camera clicks was just too much and it called and flew back up the spur road and moved into the grass.


Needless to say, some of my shots came out....but that doesn't even come close to what it was like to see this bird up close and personal!

No comments:

Post a Comment